Monday, July 28, 2008

Let them be little


Having a third child has been very challenging and quite wearing on both me and Dave. It's hard to balance baby, house work, 2 other kids and our own sanity. Since Jaylee has been getting really bad with her Colic there isn't much time to do the things we need or even want to do. I've been trying really hard to balance my time so the other two rugrats get some mom time. Yesterday Chlo and I went on a walk while Carlee was cleaning her room (It took her almost 5 hours to do it because she dottled... :) ) Chlo and I had a great time pointing out different features on houses we liked and different kids of trees and flowers. We even spotted a few bumble bees and Chlo told me all about making honey, which she learned by watching "Bees Life". When we got home me, Chloé and Carlee wanted to play the game sorry. Dave didn't want to play because it's not his favorite game and he's been getting a nasty cold. I guess later last nigth Chlo asked Dave why he didn't like her anymore... Dave was, of coarse, taken back and told her that he loved her and asked why she'd say that. It was because he didn't want to play with her anymore... How sad! It totally broke my heart! Poor Dave, he really does do his best to interact with the girls but between a new calling and LOTS of lack of sleep it has been hard. Needless to say, Dave has promised Chlo that he will play Sorry with all of us for FHE tonight and Chlo can be in charge. This put a huge smile on Chloé's face and she was fine. So the question is - How do you maintain balance with everything that needs to be done? I guess you just need to let the house go and yourself a little so your kids can get the attention they need. They really are only small and want to spend time with you for a few short years. I personally don't want to regret not doing more with the girls because I was keeping the house perfectly clean or making myself all done up. My girls are so wonderful and I'm lucky to have them. It's just quite crazy to balance it all. Thanks Chlo for pushing us back on track!

We love you Chloé, Carlee and Jaylee more than you'll ever know!

4 comments:

Ginny Connelly said...

I know how hard it is to try and balance time with all the kids...and still have much needed time for yourself. I know you like to have a clean house like me, so I make a game of doing chores with the girls and then when the house is all clean, it leaves more time for "play time" and you're still instilling skills in your girls like cleaning house. It's great when you feel like your kids still want to spend time with you. I'm not looking forward to the day when it is embarrassing to be seen with mom and dad. So, cherish these days, before you know it we'll be old and alone and wishing for these days and sleepless nights with little ones.:)

Shannon Martin said...

Its true. They are only small once and I am sure in a few years we will be forcing them to do things with their parents! I have to agree sometimes it seems to much with the laundry, house, errands, and lack of sleep. I think you and Dave do a great job. Hang in there as soon as the colic ends it will be a walk in the park for you. Well until they hit 13....haha.

The Red Hen said...

I think this is a CONSTANT struggle for all parents, especially Moms who feel like they have to do EVERYTHING all the time. I think you do a wonderful job of being a Mom and never judge when I go to someone's house and see dishes in the sink or laundry in baskets waiting to be folded.

I know that it can be overwhelming, but just hang in there and know that I think the WORLD of you!

Love,
--Jana

The Five Reids said...

I loved your thoughts on balancing it all. Going from 2 to 3 was really easy for me, but then again I started with 2, but I am a little nervous about 3 to 4. and the hard part is ya never know what the temperment of the new addition will be. We need to go out to dinner for a girls night. I am in need!!! xoxo