Tuesday, November 18, 2008

How many things can you do with one hand?





This week has been quite a challenge for all of us. For about 8 months I've had a strange bump on my right hand right where the tendons for my thumb and pointer meet. Up until a few weeks ago it wasn't bothering me. A few weekends ago it totally flaired up and started to throb! I had to go see an orthopedic surgen who on the spot scheduled me for surgery to remove the "mass". I've never been in surgery before so I was quite nervous about recovery. I think Dave has been just as concerned... What does it mean for him where I can't use my had for at least a few days. Surgery day came and I was scheduled at 3 which of coarse was the last appointment of the day. Needless to say I was beyond dehydrated and starving by 3. The nurse was really cute when she came in to do my IV and said she's hit all IV's on the first try today. Huh, no luck for me... She had to do it twice! I TOTALLY hate IV's and honestly think it's the worst part about having a baby - so to have to do this twice was not so great... to add to it the doctor was quite behind and after we waited about an hour the nurse came in with 2 free movie tickets and appologized we knew we were here for the long hall. They finally took me back about 5:15-5:30 and said it should only be about a half hour. They actually ended up having to put me out under general because it was deeper than they thought and they had to keep the turnicut on. My body seemed to do well with it because I woke up chatting away :) My had has been quite sore but oddly enough more so where the turnicut was... Dave has been a great help but is "momed out". I think he understood everything I did in theory but now that he's having to do it he's seeing there is much more to it. Yes Dave, Jaylee poops more than once a day and Chlo does need a shot for every meal... I can't wait to get back to normal activities but for now I'll enjoy watching Dave attempt the mom thing. Even between mom duties he's had time to play a car racing game with my awesome Brother Nate and even break a drumstick on his guitar hero game. I think he's even been able to get several hours of work done too. Man, he's good... Now if I could just get him to do dishes or laundry :) Thanks to mom and dad for all your help with the girls and to Bristow's for the AMAZING dinner last night. It was so great to have something other than corndogs and cold cereal. Thanks Dave for doing your best to keep up on the mom duties too!

4 comments:

Becca J said...

Glad its over.. you crack me up, you are all upbeat and happy right as you are about to go under.. I'd probably be throwing a fit.

Ginny Connelly said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you had to have surgery. I have to agree with you about the IV thing too. My husband thought I was crazy that I was most nervous about the IV. You take it easy and let that hand get better and Kudos to Dave for stepping up and taking charge. :)

Bergstresser Bunch said...

This is so freaky! I can not believe that you just had to have a mass removed from your hand! You so have to read the blog I am going to write today, you will not believe the it! Good luck with the recovery and yeah for Dave!

Mels said...

What a coincidence! I had surgery on Fri. to have a strange lump removed from my knee! I hope your lump was nothing too serious. Mine was just a cyst that was created from an old injury. Justin has had to help a lot with the "mommy" duties, and he's been great. I hope you heal quickly!