Monday, April 28, 2008

Being thankful for the little things


This morning I got an email from my little brother Elder Jackman who is serving a mission in Zimbabwe. He loves it and is, of course, one of the only white people in the area. The kids there love him and run up just to touch him. It's always a greatly anticipated thing getting emails from him every Monday morning. I love reading them because it makes me so grateful for the things I have. He talks about how their food rations are so limited that there was a week he had only 2-3 meals... Their water is also in short supply so when the water is working they have to be sure their tub is filled to the top because they don't know when water will be coming again. They take a "shower" with only 2 liters of water and don't even always have that luxury. He's also mentioned once that because the water is in such demand they can only flush their toilets once a day most of the time. (for multiple elder missionaries, I can't imagine that would be pretty). When they have their political elections the whole country gets crazy! The missionaries are supposed to stay in and away from the "craziness". The people live in little tiny houses and do their best to survive. They are a super happy people and are longing to hear the gospel even though their church attendance from week to week varies, they do seem to have several baptisms from month to month. The money over there is beyond crazy! Elder Jackman gets $5,500,000,000 Every 2 weeks (yes that is BILLION). The picture attached is of him showing off his monies. :) Too bad it's not worth anything. Just for him to do email from week to week it's $100,000,000... And we thought things here were expensive. The gas is also limited, so good luck sending him a package. We don't know how long it will take him to get it, or if he even will!
After reading his emails I enjoy my hot showers, warm meals, a flushing toilet, fresh water to drink and a working computer in my house. I was talking to my sister and she says she even eats the nasty bread ends on her store bought bread now because she feels guilty wasting it. I am so thankful for heat and air conditioning, neither of which luxuries he enjoys.
I guess for me the bottom line is I am so thankful for where I live and for an economy that allows me all the little things that are now considered "big" for me. I'm also thankful for a brother who is willing to sacrifice most of the luxuries of life to spread the gospel. I know he'll be blessed beyond his own comprehension for his sacrifice!

I love you Elder Bean!

No comments: