Sunday, February 28, 2010

Adventures and other stuff...

This weekend we decided to go to the diabetic convention at the South Towne Expo Center.  I was totally excited to go just to meet my AMAZING friend who has helped us through so many rough times.  Debra Camp with IHC Select Care has helped us get diabetic supplies and has helped out with so much insurance crap!  I honestly have NO idea what I would do without her - she is heaven sent for me.  It's an added bonus that she's one of the nicest ladies I've ever had the privlege to work with!
We also got to meet a professional race car driver - Charlie Kimball.  He was SO nice! It was interesting to talk to him about how he takes care of his diabetes with his occupation.  It's fun to know that we're not alone with the whole challenge of diabetes.
These next few pictures are just to share some fun tips I've learned from each of my "mom's"  This one is from my mom.  When my girls stay at my mom's house she makes them fruit smoothies.  The girls LOVE them.  I decided to try them myself.  It has become a morning tradition for us now and the girls think it's pretty great.  We use frozen yogurt, flavored regular yogurt, frozen and fresh fruit, some V8 splash juice and some protein powder.  They're a HUGE hit and very healthy for the girls.  It's fun to see what different combinations we can come up with.  They do taste different every day.
This is the finished product.  It was SUPER yummy on Thursday! :)
Thursday I was having what I like to call a "Jen Taylor" day.  I have a great friend who is BEYOND amazing and seems to have it all together and still has time to keep a clean house, dressed with hair and makeup done and prepare fantastic and healthy meals for her family.  I decided to try my hand at it.  After scrubbing the kitchen and family room - working out for an hour - going to lunch with an old friend - making homade bread and this dinner I was EXHAUSTED!!!  I have no idea how Jen does it - but she does!  Way to go girl.  I did feel great at the end of the day though - very accomplished :)
Anyway, this idea came from my "mom in law".  Their family does the most AMAZING meats!  Her roast is killer but this steak she made had to take the cake!  I've never made steak before probably because it's not my favorite thing to eat.  After trying Marsha's though, I had to give it a try.  This steak is so flavorful and TENDER!  We cut it with butter knives.  Here are a few tips from Mama Marsh:
Get the fillet steaks from Costco - yes they are spendy but you do cut each steak in half to make them thinner.  Marinade them in Yoshida's sweet and savory sauce (also purchased at Costco)  Be sure the meat is at room temp before cooking (I forgot this part but the steak was still awesome).  Cook on the lowest grill setting for 15-20 minutes total.  You can add a little bit of grill seasoning if you'd like.  I did and it really added some punch.  I was impessed I could actually make a good steak.

Thanks to both my mom's who are fantastic cooks! :)
Love you both.

1 comment:

Shannon Martin said...

You should try fresh spinach and some flax seed (can't even taste it) by girls love the shakes in the morning too. I love that they get there fruit and veggies and don't even know it.....